Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day

There is something romantic about the country. The dew on the grass in the morning, the crowing of the roosters, smell of sweet hay, barns housing goats and ponies, nickers during feeding times.

One morning I was enjoying all of those things. Throwing hay to the horses and hearing them nicker their gratitude made me smile. The chickens where scratching at the door too their coop, eager to enjoy the sunshine and search for bugs. As I was throwing hay to the goats who were butting heads and fighting for the best strands of hay, I saw a little frog making he way through the grass. He struggle between the blades looking for a better place. I was thinking how lucky I was to be in the county. How fortunate I was to live in such an idyllic life. Then chicken came rushing up to me and spied the little frog in the grass.

The carnage! Chickens attacked the frog from all sides. I had to turn away as they ripped is little body apart. It was horrific.

No place is perfect. No person is perfect. No life is perfect.

I think that is what I am learning this year. I find just as much joy in the neighbors gardens, the twittering birds, the sassy squirrels down here as I did in those other things I loved about the country. I love my man with all my heart and walking the dogs through the neighborhoods is a perfect way to spend a comfortable fall day. I can't wait for spring to arrive and watch the city come alive in the same ways I watched the country.

Who said it .. grow where you're planted ...

Happy Valentine's Day all and I hope you find love where ever you look. 




2 comments:

  1. Bloom where we're planted...something we are have to do.

    Very enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Valentine's Day!! I'm glad you're happy with your new home.

    ReplyDelete