Saturday, February 4, 2012

Okay going to try again ...

I have to admit that I became so discouraged and yes, even at bit depressed, that I stopped blogging. The other day, as I was walking the dogs in the neighborhood I really wished I had blogged through all that.

But that is the past and I can do it keep moving forward!

Chicago is a great town that has lot to offer, except wide open space to play with farm animals.

I did discover a few places I really like.

The Lincoln Park Zoo :

This is one of free zoos left in the world. It is a pretty nice zoo. Nice assortment of animals in good condition.

My heart is honestly torn when I see some of the small cages that animals are locked into. The some big cats in particular are obviously stressed. Some of the cats just do not have enough room to be big cats. Others seem perfectly at easy such as the lions. They also have a bigger enclosure.

Mike's favorite is the gorillas. They are fun to watch.
For a week they had a new baby gorilla that we went to see. Unfortunately it suffered a skull fracture and died. They are not sure what happened but think it was an accident made by a new mother.

But as fascinating at the exotic animals are. I really love the wide open spaces, domestic farm animals and the beautiful pond. On the way to farm area my little heart was all a twitter. I could smell the farm and see cows. I was sent to tear by the sight of this little guy:
Oh he is cute enough. Just looked a little too much like the pony I lost last fall. I can't wait to go back this spring though.

They are not my animals and I can not interact with them as I would if they were mine, but just the sights and sounds of the farm make me happy. The smell of hay, and yes the other smells too. Those soft little noses and their gentle breath. All with out having to actually cart the hay and make sure they have water all winter long.




The Lincoln Park Conservatory:

Another great place. PLANTS! Beautiful! Soothing! Oh I love this place.
Plants just make me feel good. I love the green, the different textures and all. It is a nice place to get in touch with nature again.

1 comment:

  1. How sad about the baby gorilla. I didn't even realize they had free zoos anywhere lol. It is sad though when they are kept in small enclosures. I guess that's the price they pay for not charging an entry fee. :(

    So happy you found a place that you can see horses and smell all the wonderful smells of the farm. The smell of horses is one of the things I missed a lot. Isn't it funny? :)

    ReplyDelete